Lake Hike

|
We have an ex Russian Army guide called Geena to take us on a so-called ‘soft hike’ around Lake Baikal. The lake itself has many superlatives attached to it: oldest lake in the world, deepest lake in the world and more fresh water than any lake in the world (20% of the world’s non frozen fresh water, apparently). Whatever, it is a beautiful lake and the 15km hike we did showed it in it’s best light. It contains lots of different micro climates and more butterflies than you can shake a stick at. The trees are mostly pine and beech (‘Biroza’) and cling to the steep slopes around the lake. The paths are fit for mountain goats, but Harry and our guide lead the way admirably.

We don’t see another soul on the way and stop for lunch on a pebbly beach. Geena makes a camp fire and cooks us sausages and mashed potato which fuels us for the walk back. The brave souls have a paddle in the impossibly cold water- which, as legend has it, prolongs our life for another ten years!

Here is what the experts have to say;

Harry: “The walk was fun. I went all the round the mountain and saw lots of grass grass, lots of the trees and lots of the hills. I had sausage and potato and cucumber and chocolate on the rocks. I went into the lake Baikal and it was freezing cold. It was like I was ice. Our guide made a fire. He said ‘You are a good tourist’ to me”

Maisie: “We walked fifteen kilometres. I saw butterflies and caterpillars, the lake was amazing because it was really big. I went paddling in the lake up to my knees but it was freezing cold. It puts twenty five more years on your life. My legs feel wobbly.”

Marcelle: “The walk was a wonderful, refreshing change after all the polluted cities we have seen. It was great to walk with, and get to know Kevin and Lolita who are from the UK and on their way to Mongolia and Bejing! Thank-you and good luck with the rest of your trip! I was very proud of Maisie and Harry who managed the longest walk they have ever done and thoroughly enjoyed ever step. I was pleased too, I’m fitter than I thought!”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to see pics

Grandad Geoff said...

Well done all of you!! Great practice for Brecon and all the Welsh lakes!
Continue to enjoy.
Love and storing the hugs for when you get home.

Post a Comment