Kit: Guides

|


For the Trans-Siberian journey a 1994 3rd reprint of the Trans-Siberian Handbook by Bryn Thomas has come into my possession. It will be interesting to see how much things have changed (although the pictures of Russian dining carriages looked more 1960's than 1990's...)

I believe that as of 2010 it is in it's 7th reprint and gets very good Amazon reviews.

I was also looking at buying a couple of guide books, but for the time we will be spending in Beijing and Ulaan Bator it didn't seem worth it. Then I came across the  Lonely Planet 'Pick & Mix' where you can buy individual chapters of guidebooks as PDFs. This makes it cost effective and doesn't take up any room as long as you are prepared to bring a laptop with you anyway.

I paid for and downloaded the Beijing chapters (Background, Excursions, Great Wall & Neighbourhoods) for £7 and the Ulaan Bator chapters (History, Ulaan Bator & Language) for £5.

As long as there is a way to power my laptop then we'll know where we're going!




I have also been checking out other blogs and stories about the Trans-Siberian/Trans-Mongolian and have provided links to them below:


1 comments:

Beth said...

Not long now, you lucky Caldwells! Re: your old Trans-Siberian guide, not sure how much different pine tree, birch tree, pine, pine, birch can get over 70 years. xx

Post a Comment